Technical advancements help business processes exceptionally and hence, it’s the high time to integrate a major technical innovation geofencing into your business. It is a proven technical strategy to assure more user engagement, loyalty, sales, and business process streamlining.
Geofencing is an innovative location-based service that is useful to engage business target audience by various techniques like sending relevant and attractive messages to smartphone owners who enter a pre-defined location, pre-define proximity, or geographical area.
We, Dreamworth Solutions, are one-stop-destination for Android App and Mobile App Development in India and are glad to introduce our readers with a magical and spectacular world of Geo-fencing technology and its applications.
What is Geofencing?
Techopedia defines Geofencing as -
“A technology that defines a virtual boundary around a real-world geographical area.”
And according to Wikipedia, Geofencing is -
“Virtual perimeter for a real-world geographic area.”
Let's dig deeper in its technical details.
Geofencing is a location-based technical innovation that can be employed as marketing approach through different platforms like apps or systems that use GPS, Wi-Fi, RFID, or cellular data to trigger a pre-determined and well-programmed action when a mobile device user enters/exits a specific virtual boundary or Geofence, fixed around geographical boundaries.
Here, it is possible to select and fix a geographical area from a map and place up a digital barrier around it. This ‘fenced-off’ location can search, detect and interact with smart devices that breach its territory. A Geofence allows businesses to send text messages, emails, push notifications when smartphone users enter in specific areas. These actions trigger when device users enter Geo-fence area or exit this area or even remain connected in that area. This innovative feature is provided by both Android and iOS platforms. Its mechanism works by considering latitude and longitude parameters for the geographical area to be marked-off.
Geofencing is an advanced technical feature and it can work as a mobile marketing optimization way. Apart from e-commerce and m-commerce, it is highly beneficial to other sectors like logistics, fleet management, warehouse management, etc. We will introduce you to its several use-cases in the latter section of this page.
Requirements for Geo-Fencing
An app - Most of the geofences work by its app implementation. However, it can also be employed for other systems like RFID, GPS, etc. Next, the prominent requirement is that geo-fencing actions can be triggered if the smart user enters the marked proximity and he/she has installed that app on the mobile.
Location permission - Geo-fencing actions trigger, based on the location of the user and hence, this app requires permission to know the user’s location. Location permissions are a user-selectable option that can avail many benefits to users in terms of location-based offers, best deals at that time, etc.
For Android phones, users can select between & coarse location or approximate location that mainly takes cell tower and Wi-Fi access point information for determining the user’s position and fine location or precise location using a combination of the above data and GPS data to finalize the smartphone position.
For iOS users, they can select either when-in-use or always access permission. For background geofencing functionality execution, the second option is required.
Vulnerability assessment can prevent the following types of threats.
- XSS, SQL injection, and other types of code injection attacks.
- Privileges escalation as a result of faulty authentication mechanisms.
- Insecure defaults –a software that allows insecure loopholes like guessable admin passwords.
The working mechanism of Geo-fences can include the following scenarios -
- Sending a push notification on the smart devices.
- Provide visual content, offers, and media in the app.
- Collect and analyse analytics in the background.
- Verify the entry/exit of the smartphone user.
- Trigger specific actions in a 3rd party API.
Real-life use cases of Geo-Fencing
- Inform users about a lunch offer, when you walk by a hotel or cafe around midday.
- Provide details about museum items, when you visit the exhibition.
- Classroom student’s attendance.
- Collect points and details by visiting various stores.
- Checking work and labour status for various manufacturing projects.
- Turning on the lights when the meeting is scheduled.
Applications of Geofencing Systems
There are several applications of geofencing techniques that make geofencing a need of an hour for many businesses. It is a proven marketing technology that also benefits other managerial functions like organization, resource optimization, and job monitoring. The common applications of geofencing techniques include -
- Social networking : One of the most prominent applications of the geofencing technique is its implementation in popular social networking apps like Snapchat. Through this, location-based filters, offers, stickers, and other shareable content are offered to the user.
- Marketing : Geofencing is well known as a great digital marketing strategy that optimizes marketing ways beyond imagination. It is highly useful to promote store offers, provide alerts to the users and for targeting specific audiences for particular offers based on their current location.
- Audience engagement : Geofencing is also useful to engage crowds or masses at organized events like festivals, concerts, fairs, and other events. E.g. a concert venue can be well equipped with a geofence to crowdsource social media posts, engaging content, or broadcast information about the venue or planned event. Other work scopes include queue handling, user management, event advertising, and audience engagement.
- Smart appliances : Geofencing is also useful for setting your dream home as a smart home that will add to your comfort. Your location settings can remind your thermostat systems to set the right temperature when you leave your office or smart fridge can remind you to purchase a milk bag when you are passing by the grocery store.
- Human resources : Employee monitoring is an essential and tricky task for any company. Thanks to geofencing systems that allow employers to track employee status and fieldwork conditions. It is also beneficial to manage timecards, in-out time management of employees and assure that they are more productive at their work.
- Telematics : Geofencing serves one more organizational application i.e. telematics. This allows enterprises to draw virtual zones or areas around sites, fieldwork areas, and secure campuses. These areas can be triggered by a vehicle or staff and send messages, alerts or warnings to the area operator.
- Security : Geofencing can be employed to make your mobile device safer. Consider an example, you can set your smartphone to unlock only when you are at home using geofence settings or you can get alerts when somebody enters your house or leaves by geofence options.
- Competitor’s Handling Strategy : Geofencing is also effective to handle competitors by setting good offers to your prospective clients if they are ready to visit your competitor’s store. Geofencing offers an opportunity to improve your brand awareness, design the best competitive strategy and maximize your traffic. The retail industry is widely using this approach to drive more leads and traffic to their stores.
- Feedback Management : Geofencing is also utilized for getting user feedback when users exit out of geo-fenced areas. This feedback can be used for further service improvement.
- Logistics and warehousing optimization: By integrating geofences, a logistics unit can coordinate operations to work together by getting alerts about workers, vehicles, etc. Geofences can optimize supply chain networks by swift operations and automatic process shipments without the need for manual intervention.
- Regulation of transportation system : Public transport apps can integrate the geofencing system to send general informative alerts to users like dynamic changes in the transport system, downtimes, delays, and special announcements depending on the location of the user. Further, these systems can be enhanced for other services like parking, toll collection and allied services.
Dreamworth Solutions’ Offers for Geo-fencing Services
Depending on the client’s requirement, we at Dreamworth Solutions are pleased to offer Geo-fencing integrated iOS and Android app development services. Being an experienced and seasoned player in the app development industry we love innovations and challenges. It will be a great pleasure for us to work on a new platform and to break our comfort zone.
Our Geofencing solutions can be used for the following scenarios -
- Send notifications : Send push messages and notifications triggered by user’s locations from store, mall, or other points of sale.
- Gather Location Data : We help enterprises to get location data and conduct analytics on it to formulate the best marketing plan further.
- Behaviour-based Insights and Tokens : Finding user details like holiday patterns, travel choices, and gazettes used during local visits and outdoor travels to plan marketing strategies.
- Retarget Users : Geo-fencing techniques are highly useful to offer the best retargeting offers to your users and to retain them. We can configure the best retargeting services with the help of the geofencing technique.
- User Segmentation : This technique allows you to classify your users in the best possible ways and to allow you to provide the right content and offers to them.
Digital Marketing and SEO
We are one of the seasoned players in the digital marketing industry and hence we are the right choice for your geo-fencing requirements. Our teams have expertise in online marketing, Social media handling, and content management and SEO techniques. We can provide you the right mix of services that can leverage your brand.
- Reliable Technology
- Simple Integration
- Low battery consumption
- Great Accuracy
- High Availability for All Platforms
- Better User Insights
- Assistance for Other Services
- Digital Marketing and Content Marketing
Being an old player in this industry we love innovations and we accept challenges at every stage because we believe that only challenging conditions help to realize own capabilities. It will be a pleasure for us to work on a different platform and to come out of our comfort zone. Our expert team, business analysts will consult you for the best possible solutions that can be implemented through geofencing services. The technical team has matchless experience with App Development, and they are committed to offering tailor-made solutions to your business requirements. We also provide prompt services for Android, iOS app development and maintenance services. We are an experienced, branded and reputed player in App development industry. You just need to share your app development requirements; we will offer end-to-end solutions based on your requirements.